Picadillo De Res (Beef Picadillo)
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
2 pounds ground beef
1 teaspoon salt- divided use
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 onion, finely chopped
2 pounds plum tomatoes, chopped
1 jalapeño or serrano pepper, seeded and minced
1 large potato, peeled, cut into 1/2 -inch cubes
1 ripe plantain or large firm banana, chopped
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 cup raisins
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet with slotted spoon. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt, black pepper, ground cinnamon and cloves. Set aside. Remove any drippings from skillet.
- Cook onion in same skillet over medium heat 3 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, beef mixture, jalapeño pepper, potato, Plantain, bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 to 23 minutes or until potato is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in raisins; continue cooking, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Remove and discard bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Season with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Makes 8 servings.
Tip: Picadillo mixture can be used as a filling in tacos or poblano chiles.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 337; Total Fat: 13g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 76mg; Total Carbs: 29g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 27g; Sodium: 230mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.