Search for recipes throughout
the entire site or select one of the recipe collections from
the drop-down menu on the search tool below:
'Gourmet' pigs-in-a-blanket! Hot dogs and
cheese are enrobed in a yeast dough and baked until golden brown.
Pigs in a Blanket
- 1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar - divided
- 2/3 cup warm milk (110°F to 115°F
- 1/3 cup warm water (110°F to 115°F
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons shortening,
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 10 hot dogs
- 2 slices processed American cheese
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and 1
teaspoon sugar in milk and water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add
egg, shortening, salt, remaining sugar and enough flour to form
a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth
and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl,
turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place
until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Cut a 1/4-inch deep lengthwise slit in
each hot dog. Cut cheese slices into five strips; place one strip
in the slit of each hot dog.
- Punch dough down; divide into 10 portions.
Roll each into a 5 x 2 1/2-inch rectangle and wrap around prepared
hot dogs; pinch seam and ends to seal. Place seam-side down on
greased baking sheets; let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 15 to
18 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 10 servings.