Pork Meatballs Stroganoff
The classic Russian mélange of sour cream, onion and mushrooms (named for a 19th century Russian diplomat) has hundreds of variations. This ground pork recipe is a very good version.
1 pound lean ground pork
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
1 large egg, beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, quartered or sliced
1 small onion, chopped
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dry sherry
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup dairy sour cream
Hot cooked noodles
- In a mixing bowl combine ground pork, bread crumbs, egg, salt and pepper; mix well. Shape into 12 meatballs.
- In a large skillet brown meatballs in hot oil; remove. Pour off pan drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons in skillet.
- Cook mushrooms and onion in drippings until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add flour; cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes; stir in sherry and water. Cook and stir until thicken.
- Return meatballs to skillet. Simmer, covered, 20 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream.
- Serve over hot cooked noodles. Garnish with parsley.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories 510 calories Protein 32 grams Fat 25 grams Sodium 810 milligrams Cholesterol 135 milligrams Saturated Fat 10 grams Carbohydrates 32 grams Fiber 2 grams.
Recipe provided courtesy of Pork, Be Inspired®.