Potato-Topped Meat Loaf
Slices of meat loaf are topped with mashed potatoes and cheddar cheese and broiled.
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1 large egg
1 cup milk
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground sage
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup tomato ketchup
4 cups mashed potatoes
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Mix together ground beef, dry bread crumbs, egg, milk, chopped onion, salt, dry mustard, pepper, sage, garlic powder, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Spoon into an ungreased loaf pan and top with ketchup.
- Bake, uncovered, for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, or until done. Drain.
- When cool, cut into 1/2-inch slices. Spread the slices with mashed potatoes and place under a 550°F (approximately 285°C) broiler, 3 to 4-inches from the heat, for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese and continue broiling until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.