Quinoa and Sausage Stuffed Peppers
A delicious entrée that's perfect for any night of the week. These hearty stuffed peppers feature a combination of nutritious ingredients, including the super grain quinoa and lean Italian turkey sausage.
5 medium, mixed bell peppers (red, green, yellow and/or orange), cut in half lengthwise and seeds/ribs removed from centers
2 cups water
1 cup ivory or red quinoa
1 teaspoon MAGGI Instant Chicken Flavor Bouillon
12 ounces spicy lean Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
1 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice, undrained
2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
5 tablespoons BUITONI Refrigerated Freshly Shredded Parmesan Cheese (5 ounces) - divided use
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Microwave peppers on HIGH (100%) power for 3 minutes or just until tender. Place cut-side-up in 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Combine water, quinoa and bouillon in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Cover; cook for 15 to 18 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Cook sausage, onion and garlic in large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring frequently to crumble sausage, for 8 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and onion is tender. Stir in cooked quinoa, tomatoes and juice and spinach. Spoon mixture evenly into peppers (about 1/2 cup per pepper half). Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cheese over filling in each pepper.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and peppers are heated through.
Makes 5 (2-pepper half) servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/5 of recipe): Calories: 340; Calories from Fat: 120; Total Fat: 13g; Saturated Fat: 3.5g; Cholesterol: 45mg; Sodium: 1210mg; Carbohydrates: 43g; Dietary Fiber: 5g; Sugars: 7g; Protein: 19g.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.