Saucy Skillet Meatballs and Potatoes
File this skillet meal recipe under both "family-pleasing" and "quick and easy" dishes!
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitaminB6, vitaminB12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber.
1 pound ground beef
1/4 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 egg whites or 1 whole egg
2 tablespoons water
3 cloves garlic, minced - divided use
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano or other seasoned tomatoes, undrained
1 pound small red-skinned potatoes (1 1/2 to 2-inch diameter), cut into quarters
Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Chopped fresh oregano (optional)
- Combine ground beef, bread crumbs, 1/4 cup cheese, egg whites, water, 1 clove garlic, salt and pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 12 two-inch meatballs. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place meatballs in skillet; cook 5 to 8 minutes or until browned on all sides.
- Add remaining 2 cloves garlic, tomatoes and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes and until potatoes are tender. Uncover; continue simmering about 5 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Sprinkle meatballs with cheese, if desired, before serving.
Makes 4 servings.
Test Kitchen Tips:
- Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef.
- Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F (71.1°C).
- Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe using 80% lean ground beef): 477 calories; 17 g fat (7 g saturated fat; 7 g monounsaturated fat); 80 mg cholesterol; 1674 mg sodium; 46 g carbohydrate; 4.1 g fiber; 34 g protein; 7.3 mg niacin; 0.7 mg vitamin B6; 2.6 mcg vitamin B12; 6.6 mg iron; 25.5 mcg selenium; 6.2 mg zinc.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe using 95% lean ground beef): 409 calories; 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 80 mg cholesterol; 1669 mg sodium; 46 g carbohydrate; 4.1 g fiber; 36 g protein; 8.5 mg niacin; 0.7 mg vitamin B6; 2.4 mcg vitamin B12; 7.0 mg iron; 24.9 mcg selenium; 6.8 mg zinc.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.