Sauerbraten-spiced meatballs simmered in a sweet and sour ginger-spiced sauce. Serve on a bed of egg noodles.
1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup water
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 bay leaf
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
8 ounces uncooked wide egg noodles
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons water
- Combine ground beef, milk, bread crumbs, salt, cloves, allspice and pepper in a large bowl. Mix gently until well combined. Form into meatballs (3 tablespoons mixture per meatball).
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and heat until hot but not smoking. Add meatballs, do not crowd, and cook until well browned, about 5 minutes. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Drain fat from skillet. Add first addition of water, vinegar, brown sugar, bay leaf and ginger, scraping the bottom to remove any browned bits. Return meatballs to pan. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- While meatballs simmer, cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Mix together flour and remaining water; set aside.
- Remove meatballs from pan and hold warm. Whisk in flour and water and cook, stirring frequently, until thickened.
- Serve sauce over meatballs on a bed of egg noodles.
Makes 4 servings.