Southwest Beef Pizza
When you crave pizza and South-of-the-Border flavors, this is the recipe to satisfy those cravings.
1 pound ground beef
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (16-ounce) prepared pizza crust
1 1/4 cups mild, thick and chunky salsa
1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend or Monterey Jack cheese
1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles, drained well
2 medium plum tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
1/3 cup thin red onion slivers
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- In large skillet, brown ground beef over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Pour off drippings. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Place bread shell on ungreased baking sheet.
- Spread salsa over shell. Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Top with beef, chilies, tomatoes, and red onion. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake in oven 11 to 13 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with cilantro. Cut into 8 wedges and serve hot.
Makes 4 (2 slice) servings.
- Turn this into a fun breakfast pizza by adding 4 scrambled eggs.
- For a spicier pizza, substitute medium salsa for mild.
- You can substitute cooked shredded beef for the ground beef.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.