Stuffed Beef & Black Bean Tamale Pie
This delicious and easy ground beef and black bean tamale pie will satisfy the heartiest appetites.
1 pound lean ground beef
1 (1.25-ounce) package taco seasoning mix
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup water
1 (8.75-ounce) can corn, drained well (or 1 cup frozen)
1 1/2 cups sour cream - divided use
1 1/2 cups shredded colby-Jack or cheddar cheese - divided use
3/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1 (8.5-ounce) package corn muffin mix
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Brown ground beef in large nonstick skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until beef in no longer pink. Pour off drippings.
- Stir seasoning mix into beef. Add beans and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile combine corn muffin mix, 3/4 cup sour cream, 3/4 cup shredded cheese and 1/2 cup of green onions in medium bowl, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Batter will be stiff.)
- Spread slightly more than half of batter onto bottom and up sides of 9-inch pie pan. Spoon corn evenly on top of batter. Top with beef mixture. Spoon remaining batter around outer edge of pie, then carefully spread batter toward center, leaving a 3-inch circle in center uncovered.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F (205°C) 23 to 25 minutes, or until top is golden brown. Top with remaining sour cream, cheese and green onion. Cut into wedges.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.