Sweet and Sour Meat Loaf
A savory ground beef and mushroom meat loaf topped with a sweet and sour sauce.
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup white-distilled or apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
2 pounds ground beef
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 large egg
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup crushed saltine crackers
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- In a bowl, combine tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and mustard.
- In another bowl, combine ground beef, mushrooms, egg, onion, crackers, salt and pepper; knead together, then add half the tomato sauce mixture.
- Place in a loaf pan. Pour the remaining sauce on top.
- Bake 45 minutes, or until done.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
Makes 8 servings.