Sweet Potato Beef Mash-Up
A savory mixture of ground beef and tender sweet potato chunks get wrapped up in a whole-wheat tortilla.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of iron and choline.
1 pound ground beef (93% lean or leaner)
1/2 cup water - divided use
4 teaspoons taco seasoning mix - divided use
1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup Greek or regular nonfat yogurt
1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Chopped fresh cilantro
Small whole wheat flour tortillas (6 to 7-inch diameter), warmed (optional)
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 1/2-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove drippings. Stir in 1/4 cup water and 2 teaspoons taco seasoning; cook 3 minutes. Remove from skillet; keep warm.
- Combine sweet potatoes, onion, remaining 1/4 cup water and 2 teaspoons taco seasoning in same skillet. Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring once. Remove lid; stir in oil; continue cooking, uncovered, 4 to 6 minutes or until potatoes are tender and begin to brown, stirring frequently. Return beef mixture to skillet; continue to cook 2 to 4 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt and hot sauce, as desired, in small bowl.
- Evenly divide beef mixture into tortillas, if desired. Garnish with cilantro and serve with yogurt mixture, as desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Test Kitchen Tips:
- Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef.
- Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F (71.1°C).
- Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): 247 calories; 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat; 5 g monounsaturated fat); 76 mg cholesterol; 236 mg sodium; 8 g carbohydrate; 1.0 g fiber; 26 g protein; 6.3 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 2.3 mcg vitamin B12; 2.8 mg iron; 18.3 mcg selenium; 6.0 mg zinc; 82.3 mg choline.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe using 1 small tortilla): 357 calories; 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat; 5 g monounsaturated fat); 76 mg cholesterol; 576 mg sodium; 25 g carbohydrate; 5.0 g fiber; 29 g protein; 6.3 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 2.3 mcg vitamin B12; 2.8 mg iron; 18.3 mcg selenium; 6.0 mg zinc; 82.3 mg choline.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.