Taco Pizza with Cornmeal Crust
This hearty, Southwestern pizza offers a toothsome cornmeal-infused crust topped with taco-seasoned ground beef, cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, avocado and sour cream.
Cornmeal Pizza Dough:
About 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 (0.25-ounce) packages active dry yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cup warm water (120°F to 130°F | 50°C to 55°C)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup yellow or white cornmeal
12 ounces lean ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (2.25-ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
1 (1.25-ounce) envelope taco seasoning mix
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded lettuce
2 cups chopped tomatoes
2 medium avocados, seed, peeled and chopped
1 cup sour cream
Chili powder for sprinkling (optional)
- For Cornmeal Pizza Dough: In a large bowl combine 1 1/4 cups of the flour, yeast and salt. Add warm water and oil. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes.
- Using a spoon, stir in cornmeal and as much of 3/4 to 1 1/4 cups of additional flour as you can.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Divide dough in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Grease two 11 to 13-inch pizza pans or baking sheets. On a lightly floured surface, roll each half of dough into a circle 1-inch larger than pizza pan. Transfer dough to pans. Build up edges slightly. If desired, flute edges. Prick well with fork. Do not let rise. Bake in a 425°F (220°C) oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- For Taco Topping: In a large skillet cook ground beef and onion until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain fat. Stir in tomato sauce, olives and taco seasoning mix. Heat through. Spread meat mixture over hot crusts. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake about 12 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
- Top with lettuce, tomatoes, avocados and sour cream. If desired, sprinkle sour cream with chili powder.
Makes 4 (2 slice) servings.