Texas Cabbage Bake
This hearty casserole has a layer of seasoned ground beef and rice topped with cabbage, spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese.
4 cups water
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups uncooked rice
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 cabbage, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 (1.5-ounce) package spaghetti sauce seasoning mix, prepared according to package directions
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Combine water, butter and salt, bring to a boil; add rice. Cover and reduce the heat to low for 20 minutes without stirring.
- Meanwhile, in a separate skillet brown ground beef and onion. Drain and set aside.
- Place cabbage in boiling salted water to cover, return to a boil and cook 5 to 8 minutes. Drain.
- Combine prepared spaghetti sauce, garlic powder and hot pepper sauce.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Mix together cooked rice and browned beef. Layer the rice and beef mixture in a greased 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Cover with cabbage and top with the sauce. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.