Three-Cheese Lasagna with Beef
A hearty lasagna made with ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses and an Italian meat sauce made with ground beef.
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup red wine
1 cup tomato paste
1 cup tomato sauce
1 cup tomato juice
1 teaspoon crushed dried basil
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pound lasagna noodles
5 cups water
8 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
1 (8-ounce) container ricotta cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a heavy saucepan, melt butter in oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook until limp but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook, stirring frequently, until no longer pink. Add red wine, cover tightly, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, tomato sauce, tomato juice and basil; mix well. Add bell pepper, celery, nutmeg and pepper; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook lasagna according to package directions. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Place one-fourth of the sauce in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Alternately layer mozzarella cheese, meat sauce, ricotta cheese and noodles, ending with the noodles. Sprinkle top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until browned and bubbly. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before cutting.
Makes 8 servings.