Zucchini and Italian Sausage Quiche
This versatile and delicious quiche, filled with zucchini, Italian sausage, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses, is perfect served for brunch or supper.
2 cups zucchini, shredded
4 tablespoons butter - divided use
1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage
1 (10-inch) unbaked pie crust
1 cup (4 ounces) mozzarella cheese, shredded
4 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup (1 ounce) Wisconsin Parmesan cheese, grated
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper (or black pepper, if desired)
- Sauté zucchini in 2 tablespoons butter for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Remove sausage casings and crumble the meat into a skillet. Fry in remaining 2 tablespoons butter until done. Drain on paper towel.
- Spread zucchini in bottom of pastry shell. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and crumbled sausage.
- Beat eggs in large bowl. Add milk, cream, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Pour over cheese and sausage.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 450°F (230°C) 15 minutes, then lower heat to 350°F (175°C) and bake 15 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.