Chocolate & Peanut Butter Dipped Apples
These fun and yummy chocolate and peanut butter dipped apples are sure to be a hit at fall and winter parties.
10 to 12 medium apples, stems removed
10 to 12 wooden popsicle sticks
1 cup HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 2/3 cups (10-ounce package) REESE'S Peanut Butter Chips - divided use
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening - divided use (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil)
- Line tray with wax paper.
- Wash apples; dry thoroughly. Insert wooden stick into stem end of each apple; place on prepared tray.
- Place chocolate chips, 2/3 cup peanut butter chips and 1/4 cup shortening in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave at HIGH an additional 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, just until chips are melted when stirred.
- Dip bottom three-fourths of each apple into mixture. Twirl and gently shake to remove excess; return to prepared tray.
- Place remaining 1 cup peanut butter chips and remaining 2 tablespoons shortening in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 30 seconds; stir. If necessary, microwave at HIGH an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, just until chips are melted when stirred.
- Spoon over top section of each apple, allowing to drip down sides. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Makes 10 to 12 coated apples.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.