Chippy Chewy Bars
Layers of yum, these bars are so easy to make you'll be taking them to your next church supper or potluck.
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 2/3 cups (10-ounce package) REESE'S Peanut Butter Chips - divided use
1 1/2 cups MOUNDS Sweetened Coconut Flakes
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
1 cup HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips OR HERSHEY'S MINI CHIPS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Place butter in 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan. Heat in oven until melted; remove pan from oven. Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs evenly over butter; press down with fork.
- Sprinkle 1 cup peanut butter chips over crumbs; sprinkle coconut over chips. Layer remaining 2/3 cup peanut butter chips over coconut; drizzle sweetened condensed milk evenly over top. Press down firmly.
- Bake 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Combine chocolate chips and shortening in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave at HIGH an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, just until chips are melted and mixture is smooth.
- Drizzle evenly over top of baked mixture. Cool completely. Cut into bars.
Makes about 48 bars.
Note: For a lighter drizzle, use 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 3/4 teaspoon vegetable shortening. Microwave at HIGH 30 seconds to 1 minute or until chips are melted when stirred.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.