An incredible chocolate layer cake filled with lemon curd and frosted with a luscious chocolate frosting.
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 (10 to 12-ounces each) jars lemon curd
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 to 3 tablespoons milk
Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- For Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease sides of two 9-inch round cake pans; line bottoms with wax paper.
- Stir together flour; cocoa and baking soda; set aside. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating until combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 23 to 28 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Prepare Chocolate Frosting.
- Place 1 cake layer on serving plate. Spoon lemon curd into bowl; stir until smooth. Spread about 3/4 cup curd over top of layer; place remaining cake layer on top. Spread frosting on sides, making a rim about 1/4-inch high above top of cake. Spread remaining curd on top of cake. Garnish with whipped cream, if desired. Cover; refrigerate leftover cake.
- For Chocolate Frosting: Combine powdered sugar, cocoa, butter and vanilla in large bowl; beat until combined. Add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating to desired consistency. Makes about 1 1/4 cups frosting.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.