Chocolate Mousse Torte
An impressive chocolate torte filled with chocolate mousse.
2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa or HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/3 cups milk
Chocolate Mousse Filling:
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
1 tablespoon cold water
2 tablespoons boiling water
1 cup cold whipping cream
1/3 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons HERSHEY'S Cocoa or HERSHEY'S Dutch Processed Cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1-inch jelly roll pan with foil; grease and flour foil.
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda; gradually add to butter mixture, alternately with milk, beating until well blended. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Invert onto wire rack; carefully peel off foil. Cool completely.
- Prepare Chocolate Mousse Filling.
- For Chocolate Mousse Filling: Sprinkle gelatin over cold water in small cup; let stand several minutes to soften. Add boiling water; stir until gelatin is dissolved and mixture is clear. Cool 5 minutes. Beat whipping cream, powdered sugar, cocoa and vanilla in medium bowl until thickened; pour in gelatin mixture and beat until stiff. Use immediately. Makes about 2 cups filling.
- Trim edges from cake; cut cake crosswise into 4 equal pieces, each about 9 x 3 1/2-inches. Place one layer on serving plate; spread with about 1/2 cup filling. Repeat with 2 more layers; pipe or spread fourth layer with remaining filling. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Cover; refrigerate leftover torte.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.