Chocolate Squares with Nutty Caramel Sauce
A great chocolate snack cake served with an easy caramel and pecan sauce.
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa or HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup milk
3 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (14-ounce) bag caramel candies
1/2 cup water
1 cup pecan pieces
Sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease bottom only of 8-inch square baking pan.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Add oil, milk, eggs and vanilla; beat until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Remove wrappers from caramels. Combine caramels and water in small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth and well blended. Stir in pecans; cool until thickened slightly.
- Cut cake into squares; serve with warm caramel nut sauce and sweetened whipped cream, if desired.
Makes 9 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.