Chocolate-Strawberry Chiffon Squares
Delightful chocolate chiffon cake squares topped with luscious strawberry cream and garnished with a whole strawberry.
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar - divided use
1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs, separated
Strawberry Cream (recipe follows)
Fresh strawberries for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Stir together flour, 1 cup sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add buttermilk, oil and egg yolks; beat on medium speed of mixer until smooth.
- Using clean beaters, beat egg whites in small bowl until soft peaks form; gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Gently fold beaten egg whites into chocolate batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly. Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Just before serving, prepare Strawberry Cream; frost top of cake.
- Cut into squares; garnish with strawberries. Cover; refrigerate leftover dessert.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.
*To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.
Berry Cream: Place 1 cup sweetened sliced strawberries in blender container or food processor bowl; puree and measure 1/2 cup. Beat 1 cup cold whipping cream in small bowl until stiff; gently fold in strawberry puree, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and, if desired, 2 to 3 drops red food color.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.