German Black Forest Cherry Torte
A splendid three layer chocolate sponge cake torte, laced with kirsch-flavored syrup, filled and frosted with sweetened whipped cream and maraschino cherries.
2/3 cup unsalted butter
6 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup kirsch (cherry brandy)*
2 (10-ounce each) jars maraschino cherries, drained and rinsed
Whipped Cream Filling and Topping (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans.
- In small saucepan over very low heat, melt butter; remove from heat. Skim off milky solids and discard; reserve remaining butter.
- In large bowl, on high speed, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla until mixture is thick, fluffy and very pale in color (about 10 minutes).
- Stir together flour and cocoa; sprinkle several tablespoons over top of egg mixture. Gently fold into egg mixture; repeat procedure until all of cocoa mixture is combined with egg mixture. Fold in melted butter, several tablespoons at a time. Divide mixture evenly among prepared pans.
- Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes; with knife, loosen cake from sides of pans. Invert onto wire racks; cool completely.
- Place cake layers on wax paper; with fork, poke holes about 1-inch apart through all layers. Stir together corn syrup and kirsch; sprinkle evenly over cake layers.
- Lightly press cherries between layers of paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Prepare Whipped Cream Filling and Topping.
- To assemble, place one layer on serving plate; spread with 1/2-inch layer of whipped cream. Place half of drained cherries over top, leaving 1-inch around edge free of cherries; with second layer, repeat procedure. Place third layer on top; frost and garnish top and sides with remaining whipped cream. Cover; refrigerate before serving.
- Garnish as desired.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.
*Note: 1 tablespoon almond extract plus 3 tablespoons water can be substituted for kirsch.
Whipped Cream Filling and Topping: In large mixer bowl, beat 3 cups cold whipping cream, 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon almond extract until stiff. Cover; refrigerate until ready to use.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.