Jubilee Chocolate Cake
Hershey's version of the classic dessert, Cherries Jubilee, is a rich chocolate cake served with vanilla ice cream and flaming cherry sauce.
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
1 1/2 cups cake flour or 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar - divided use
1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs, separated
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Flaming Cherry Sauce:
1 (16 or 17-ounces) can pitted dark or light sweet cherries, drained (reserve 3/4 cup liquid)
1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated orange peel
1/4 cup cherry-flavored liqueur or brandy
Vanilla ice cream for accompaniment
- For Cake: Stir baking soda into buttermilk in medium bowl until dissolved; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Stir together flour, 1 cup sugar, cocoa and salt. Add oil, buttermilk mixture, egg yolks and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Beat egg whites in small bowl until soft peaks form; gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold egg whites into chocolate batter. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool in pan.
- Cut into squares; top each square with scoop of ice cream and serving of Flaming Cherry Sauce.
- For Flaming Cherry Sauce: Stir together reserved cherry liquid, sugar, cornstarch and salt in chafing dish or medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils, about 1 minute. Add cherries and orange peel; heat thoroughly. Gently heat liqueur in small saucepan over low heat; pour over cherry mixture. Carefully ignite with match. Stir gently; serve as directed. (Repeat procedure for sufficient amount of sauce for entire cake.) Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Makes 12 to 15 servings.
*To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.