Magic Swirl Cake
Surprise the family with this fun cake! Spoon the chocolate fudge batter atop the vanilla batter in a fluted tube pan, with no stirring, and after it's baked, a swirl of chocolate appears like magic in the center of the cake.
3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 large eggs
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda - divided use
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Hot Fudge Topping
1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips or HERSHEY'S MINI CHIPS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
Chocolate Drizzle (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Generously grease and flour 12-cup fluted tube pan.
- In large bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until well blended. Add eggs; beat well.
- Stir together flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda and salt; add alternately to butter mixture with buttermilk.
- Pour 4 cups batter into prepared pan.
- In remaining batter, stir in fudge topping and remaining 1/4 teaspoon baking soda. Spoon over vanilla batter.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over surface.
- Bake 50 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out almost clean. Cool 10 minutes, remove from pan to wire rack.
- Glaze with Chocolate Drizzle.
Makes 12 to 16 servings.
*To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.
Chocolate Drizzle: In small microwave-safe bowl, place 1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips and 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening (do not use butter, margarine or oil). Microwave at HIGH (100%) 30 seconds; stir. If necessary, microwave at HIGH an additional 20 seconds or until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth when stirred.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.