Mini Chips Swirl Rum Cake
A swirl of mini chocolate chips runs throughout this butter rum-soaked tube cake with a shiny coat of chocolate glaze.
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S MINI CHIPS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
Butter Rum Syrup (recipe follows)
Chocolate Glaze (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour 10-inch tube pan or 12-cup fluted tube pan.
- In large bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt; add alternately with milk to butter mixture, beating until smooth.
- Remove 2 cups batter; set aside. Pour remaining batter into prepared pan.
- In small bowl, stir together small chocolate chips and nuts; sprinkle evenly over batter in pan.
- Spoon reserved batter over chip-nut mixture; carefully spread with spatula to cover.
- Bake 65 to 75 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack.
- Prepare Butter Rum Syrup. With fork, carefully pierce top and sides of warm cake. Gradually spoon or brush syrup onto cake. Allow syrup to dry and cake to cool completely.
- Glaze with Chocolate Glaze.
Makes 12 to 16 servings.
Butter Rum Syrup: In small saucepan, stir together 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons water. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to full rolling boil; boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in 1/4 cup rum or 1 teaspoon rum extract plus water to equal 1/4 cup.
Chocolate Glaze: In small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup water and 3 tablespoons granulated sugar. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat; stir in 1 cup HERSHEY'S MINI CHIPS Semi-Sweet Chocolate and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Beat with spoon or whisk until well blended. Cool 5 minutes or to spreading consistency. Use immediately.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.