Molten Chocolate-Cherry Cakes
These warm, individual chocolate cakes with chopped maraschino cherries ooze chocolate when cut into. Serve topped with whipped cream and a chocolate-dipped cherry.
1 tablespoon plus 2/3 cup granulated sugar - divided use
3/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1/3 cup maraschino cherries, finely chopped
Chocolate Dipped Cherries (recipe follows)
- Prepare Chocolate Dipped Cherries.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Grease six 3/4 cup soufflé dishes or 6-ounce custard cups. Sprinkle inside of each with some of the 1 tablespoon sugar. Place dishes in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan or a jelly roll pan.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Whisk in cocoa, 1/3 cup sugar, whipping cream and vanilla. Whisk in flour just until combined. Set aside.
- Beat eggs, egg yolks and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in large bowl on high speed of mixer about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened and lemon-colored. Beat in chocolate mixture on medium speed.
- Pour about 1/4 cup into each prepared dish. Sprinkle chopped cherries evenly over each. Carefully pour remaining chocolate mixture into each dish.
- Bake 13 to 15 minutes or just until top of each cake looks dry. (Do not over bake.) Let stand in dishes 3 minutes. Loosen sides of each. Invert onto serving plates.
- Serve warm topped with whipped cream and a Chocolate Dipped Cherries.
Makes 6 servings.
Chocolate Dipped Cherries: Drain 6 maraschino cherries with stems. Pat dry with paper towels. Place 1/4 cup HERSHEY’S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips and 1/2 teaspoon vegetable shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil) in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 45 seconds. Stir until chips are melted. Dip cherries into chocolate mixture. Place on wax paper-lined tray. Refrigerate until serving time.
Tip: For make-ahead convenience, prepare the cakes but do not bake. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 hours. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes, then bake as directed.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.