Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake
Old-fashioned never goes out of style when it comes to a good chocolate cake.
4 1/2 (1-ounce each) bars HERSHEY'S Unsweetened Baking Chocolate, broken into pieces
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
6 large eggs, separated
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups cake flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Combine chocolate and water in small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Beat butter and sugar in large mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks and vanilla; beat well. Add chocolate; beat until blended.
- Stir together flour, baking powder and salt; add alternately with milk to butter mixture.
- Beat egg whites in medium bowl until stiff, but not dry; fold into batter. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Frost as desired.
Makes 12 to 15 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.