Peanut-Cream Frosted Cocoa Cake
A two-layer cocoa cake filled and topped with a fluffy peanut butter cream and drizzled with a cocoa glaze.
1/2 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup water
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Peanut Butter Cream (recipe follows)
Cocoa Glaze (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line two 9-inch round baking pans with wax paper; grease and flour wax paper.
- Combine first 4 ingredients in saucepan; bring to boil over medium heat, stirring often. Remove from heat.
- Combine flour, sugar and baking soda in large bowl. Stir in cocoa mixture until blended. Beat in buttermilk, eggs and vanilla until blended. Pour into pans.
- Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- Spread half of Peanut Butter Cream between layers; spread remaining cream on top of cake. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Drizzle with Cocoa Glaze. Store covered in refrigerator.
Makes 12 servings.
Peanut Butter Cream: Combine 1/2 cup whipping cream and 1 (10-ounce) package REESE'S Peanut Butter Chips in small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until chips melt and mixture is smooth. Cool to room temperature. Beat 1 1/2 cups whipping cream until stiff. Stir one-third into peanut butter mixture. Fold in remaining whipped cream. Makes 3 1/2 cups.
Cocoa Glaze: Melt 2 tablespoons butter or margarine in microwave; add 2 tablespoons HERSHEY'S Cocoa and 2 tablespoons water, stirring constantly, until thickened. Gradually add 1/2 cup powdered sugar, beating with whisk until smooth. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract. Drizzle over top of cake, allowing some to run down sides.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.