Secret Strawberry Filled Angel Cake
An angel food cake with a tunnel of creamy strawberry yogurt gelatin running through its center, and frosted with a chocolate whipped topping.
1 (18.25-ounce) package angel food cake mix
1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
1 (8-ounce) container vanilla lowfat yogurt
1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Strawberry Syrup
Chocolate Syrup Whipped Topping (recipe follows)
- Move oven rack to lowest position. Mix, bake and cool cake as directed on package for a tube cake.
- Sprinkle gelatin over water in small microwave-safe bowl; let stand 2 minutes to soften gelatin. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 40 seconds; stir thoroughly. Let stand 2 minutes or until gelatin is completely dissolved; cool slightly.
- Stir together yogurt, strawberry syrup and gelatin mixture in medium bowl until smooth; refrigerate until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from spoon, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place cake, rounded side down, on cutting board. Using serrated knife, cut 1-inch layer from top of cake; lift off in one piece.
- Using serrated knife, cut around cake 1-inch from center hole and 1-inch from outer edge, leaving cake walls and cake base 1 1/4-inches thick. Using fork, carefully remove cake in cavity without breaking through sides or bottom of cake.
- Place hollowed-out cake on serving plate. Spoon strawberry syrup mixture into cavity. Cover with reserved cake top.
- Cover; refrigerate while preparing Chocolate Syrup Whipped Topping. Spread topping evenly over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate 4 hours or until strawberry syrup center is set.
- Garnish as desired. Serve cold. Cover; refrigerate leftover cake.
Makes 16 servings.
Chocolate Syrup Whipped Topping: Stir together 2 cups frozen light non-dairy whipped topping, thawed and 1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Syrup in medium bowl.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.