Chocolate Truffles 3
Chocolate truffles are easy to make, and a popular addition to dessert platters—plus, they make sweet gifts, too! Recipe includes flavor variations.
3/4 cup butter (no substitutes)
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa powder
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (Not evaporated milk)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Cocoa or powdered sugar
- Melt butter in heavy saucepan over low heat. Add cocoa; stir until smooth.
- Add sweetened condensed milk; cook and stir constantly until mixture is thick, smooth and glossy, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cover; refrigerate 3 to 4 hours or until firm.
- Shape into 1 1/4-inch balls; roll in cocoa or powdered sugar. Refrigerate until firm, 1 to 2 hours. Store, covered, in refrigerator.
Makes about 2 1/2 dozen candies.
- Nut Truffles: Add 3/4 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans to chocolate mixture when adding vanilla. (To toast pecans: Heat oven to 375°F (190°C). Spread 3/4 cup pecan halves or pieces in single layer in ungreased shallow baking pan. Bake 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool before chopping.
- Rum Nut Truffles: Decrease vanilla extract to 1 teaspoon. Stir in 2 to 3 tablespoons rum or 1 teaspoon rum extract and nuts.
- Espresso Truffles: Decrease vanilla extract to 1 teaspoon. Stir in 1 1/4 teaspoons powdered instant espresso or instant coffee when adding vanilla. Roll balls in cocoa or chopped nuts.
- Nut-Coated Truffles: Roll balls in chopped nuts.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.