Rich Cocoa Fudge
Hershey's cooked cocoa fudge, the best of the best. A favorite old-fashioned fudge that has been enjoyed by generations of Americans.
3 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa or HERSHEY'S SPECIAL DARK Cocoa
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line 8 or 9-inch square pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Butter foil.
- Mix sugar, cocoa and salt in heavy 4 quart saucepan; stir in milk.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to full rolling boil.
- Boil, without stirring, until mixture reaches 234°F on candy thermometer or until small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water, forms a soft ball which flattens when removed from water. (Bulb of candy thermometer should Not rest on bottom of saucepan.)
- Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla. DO NOT STIR.
- Cool at room temperature to 110°F (lukewarm).
- Beat with wooden spoon until fudge thickens and just begins to lose some of its gloss.
- Quickly spread into prepared pan; cool completely. Cut into squares. Store in tightly covered container at room temperature.
Makes about 36 pieces or 1 3/4 pounds.
Note: For best results, do not double this recipe.
- Nutty Rich Cocoa Fudge: Beat cooked fudge as directed. Immediately stir in 1 cup chopped almonds, pecans or walnuts and spread quickly into prepared pan.
- Marshmallow-Nut Cocoa Fudge: Increase cocoa to 3/4 cup. Cook fudge as directed. Add 1 cup marshmallow creme with butter and vanilla. DO NOT STIR. Cool to 110°F (lukewarm). Beat 8 minutes; stir in 1 cup chopped nuts. Pour into prepared pan. (Fudge does not set until poured into pan.)
HIGH ALTITUDE DIRECTIONS:
- Increase milk to 1 2/3 cups
- Use soft ball cold water test for doneness or Test and read thermometer in boiling water, subtract difference from 212°F. Then subtract that number from 234°F. This is the soft ball temperature for your altitude and thermometer.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.