Hershey's Red Velvet Cake
Hershey's excellent version of the classic red velvet chocolate cake.
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
2 tablespoons (one (1-ounce) bottle) red food color
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 (16-ounce) can ready-to-spread vanilla frosting
HERSHEY'S MINI CHIPS Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips or HERSHEY'S Milk Chocolate Chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour 13 x 9-inch baking pan.**
- Beat butter and sugar in large bowl; add eggs and vanilla, beating well.
- Stir together buttermilk and food color.
- Stir together flour, cocoa and salt; add alternately to butter mixture with buttermilk mixture, mixing well. Stir in baking soda and vinegar. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Frost; garnish with chocolate chips, if desired.
Makes 12 to 15 servings.
*To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup.
**Cake can also be baked in two greased and floured 9-inch round baking pans. Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans. Cool completely. Frost as desired.
Variation: For Heart Shapes: Using open-topped heart-shaped cookie cutter (at least 1 1/2-inches deep and 3-inches wide), cut cake into 12 hearts. Frost and decorate as directed.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.