Puff pastry and chocolate chips make these chocolaty turnovers a snap to prepare.
2 cups (12-ounce package) HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips - divided use
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (17.3-ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed (2 sheets)
1 large egg, beaten with 2 teaspoons water
1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable shortening (Do Not Use butter, margarine, spread or oil)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Combine 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips and cinnamon in small bowl; set aside.
- Unfold one pastry sheet; roll on lightly floured surface to form 12-inch square. Cut into nine 4-inch squares.
- Place 1 heaping tablespoon chip mixture onto center of each square.
- Lightly brush egg mixture onto edges of each square. Fold diagonally in half; seal edges. Transfer to ungreased baking sheet. Repeat procedure with remaining puff pastry sheet and remaining chip mixture. Lightly brush tops of turnovers with egg mixture.
- Bake 15 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from baking sheet to wire rack.
- Place remaining 1/2 cup chips and shortening in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave at HIGH an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, just until chips are melted when stirred.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over each turnover.
Makes 18 servings.
Cinnamon Turnovers: Omit chocolate chips and ground cinnamon. Use 1 2/3 cups (10-ounce package) HERSHEY’S Cinnamon Chips. Reserve 1/3 cup cinnamon chips for drizzle; use 1 1/3 cups chips for filling turnovers. Follow directions given for Chocolate Turnovers.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.