Spooky Cookie S'Mores
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 (1.55 oz. each) HERSHEY'S Milk Chocolate Bars, broken into pieces
9 large marshmallows, cut in half
Decorator Frosting: (optional)
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon meringue powder
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat butter, sugar, egg and vanilla in large bowl until well blended. Stir together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture, mixing until well blended. Divide dough into quarters; wrap tightly. Refrigerate 2 to 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- On lightly floured surface, roll out dough, one-fourth at a time, to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with pumpkin, ghost or cat shaped cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until firm. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack; cool completely. Pair cookie bottoms with matching tops. Decorate cookie tops with Decorator Frosting, if desired.
- For Decorator Frosting: Combine water and meringue powder in small bowl. Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract; beat on high speed of mixer until stiff.
- To Assemble and Serve: Place two chocolate pieces and marshmallow half on flat side of 1 cookie bottom; place on paper towel. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) in 10 second intervals until marshmallow puffs. Top with matching cookie top; press down slightly. Repeat with remaining cookies.
Makes about 18 filled cookies.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.