Applesauce Cheese, Nut 'N Fruit Cake
This festive and toothsome holiday applesauce cake is laden with shredded Monterey Jack cheese, nuts, dates and maraschino cherries and topped with a luscious cream cheese frosting.
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/2 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries, well drained
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
1/2 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup applesauce
Cream Cheese Topping:
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
3 to 4 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 325°F (160°C). Generously grease a 12-inch tube or Bundt pan; set aside.
- For Cake: In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the pecans, dates and cherries; stir in 1 cup of the flour mixture and cheese; set aside.
- In a large bowl beat butter and granulated sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs and mix well Add remaining flour mixture alternately with the applesauce, mixing well after each addition. Stir in cheese mixture.
- Pour batter into well-greased 12-inch tube pan or fluted tube pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Cool 10 minutes on wire rack; remove from pan and cool completely.
- For Cream Cheese Topping: In a medium bowl beat cream cheese, milk and vanilla until well blended. Gradually beat in powdered sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Serve with cake.
Makes 16 servings.