Belgian Christmas Cookie Bars
These festive, buttery brown sugar shortbread holiday cookie bars are topped with a mixture of cinnamon, finely chopped almonds and red and green tinted sugars.
2/3 cup butter
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup packed brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons red sugar
2 teaspoons green sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Greased a 15 x 10 x 1-inch jelly roll pan; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, cream butter with extract; add brown sugar and cream until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt together; add in thirds to creamed mixture, mixing until blended after each addition. Turn into prepared jelly roll pan and spread evenly to edges.
- Sprinkle a mixture of almonds and cinnamon over batter, then sprinkle
with a mixture of red and green sugars.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Cut into bars while still warm.
Makes 5 dozen.