Cauldron of Chili with Breadstick Bones
Top a steaming bowl of chili with a friendly (and edible!) breadstick spider.
1 pound lean ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
2 (14.5-ounce) cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
2 (15-ounce) cans chili beans
1 (11-ounce) refrigerated breadsticks
1 egg white, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Shredded cheddar cheese
- In 12-inch skillet, cook beef and onions over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in tomatoes and chili beans. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (175°C).
- Unroll dough; separate at perforations into 6 breadsticks. Roll each 12 inches long. Carefully tie a loose knot in both ends of each breadstick and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Brush breadsticks with egg white. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown.
- Top individual servings of chili with cheese; serve with warm breadstick bones.
Makes 6 servings.