Chocolate Cookie Bears
Whimsically fun chocolate cookies shaped liked little teddy bears!
1 cup granulated sugar
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, softened (do not substitute)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups Quaker®Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
Ready to spread frosting
Assorted small candies, candy sprinkles, colored sugar
- In large bowl, beat sugar and butter with electric mixer until creamy. Add melted chocolate, eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add combined oats, flour, baking powder and salt; mix well. Cover; chill about 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- To make bears, shape dough into 1-inch balls for the bodies, 1/2-inch balls for the heads and 1/4-inch balls for the arms, legs and ears. On ungreased cookie sheets, gently press pieces together to form bears, placing 2 inches apart. Flatten bears slightly.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or just until firm to the touch. (Do not overbake.) Cool 2 minutes on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely.
- Decorate as desired with frosting and candies. Store tightly covered.
Makes 8 servings.
Tip: To melt chocolate chips: place in dry measuring cup or small microwavable bowl. Microwave on HIGH 1 to 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until smooth. Or, place in top part of double boiler over hot (not boiling) water; stir occasionally until smooth.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of The Quaker Oats Company.