Chocolate Steamed Pudding
with Ellie's Mom's Sauce
This holiday-elegant chocolate steamed pudding, served with a fluffy, buttery vanilla cream sauce is the combined inspiration of chef Craig Kuenning and Ellie's mom.
1 1/2 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup hot coffee
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Ellie's Mom's Sauce:
1 1/4 cups sifted powdered sugar
5 tablespoons butter, melted
1 large egg
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup whipping cream
- Melt chocolate with butter over very low heat; cool. Combine sugar, eggs and vanilla; beat well. Blend in coffee.
- Combine dry ingredients; add to sugar mixture, mixing well. Blend in chocolate mixture.
- Divide batter evenly among eight buttered 6 ounce custard cups. Cover each tightly with aluminum foil.
- Place cups in pan with at least 1 inch sides; fill with 1/2 inch very hot water. Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 45 minutes.
- Cool; unmold. Serve warm with sauce.
- For Ellie's Mom's Sauce: Combine all ingredients except whipping cream; mix well. Beat cream until thickened. Fold in sugar mixture, mixing until well-combined.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.