Mint and chocolate flavors come together nicely in this irresistible holiday cookie. Kisses candy cane-flavor candies make these thumbprint cookies extra festive for the holidays.
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 large egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
42 peppermint-swirl kisses or milk chocolate kisses (optional)
Minty Chocolate Drizzle:
4 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 teaspoons vegetable shortening
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract or mint extract
- In a large bowl beat butter and shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, cocoa powder, and baking powder. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, milk, and peppermint extract until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Cover; chill about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are firm.
- If desired, immediately press a candy kiss into the center of each cookie. Transfer to wire racks; cool.
- If desired, drizzle with Minty Chocolate Drizzle.
- For Minty Chocolate Drizzle: In a small microwave-safe bowl combine chocolate, shortening, and peppermint extract. Microwave, uncovered, on 100 percent power (high) for 1 to 2 minutes or until melted, stirring every 30 seconds.
Makes about 42 cookies.
*For more healthful cookies, use only 1 cup all-purpose flour and add 1/2 cup whole wheat flour.
For Peanut Butter Blossoms: Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). In a large bowl beat 1/2 cup shortening and 1/2 cup peanut butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and 1/8 teaspoon baking soda. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in 1 egg, 2 tablespoons milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Place 1/4 cup granulated sugar in a shallow bowl. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll balls in sugar to coat. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are lightly browned. Immediately press a chocolate star or kiss into the center of each cookie. Transfer to wire racks; cool. Makes about 54 cookies.
To Store: Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/42 of recipe): 97 kcal cal., 6g fat (3g sat. fat, 1g polyunsaturated fat, 2g monounsatured fat), 11mg chol., 45mg sodium, 11g carb., 1g fiber, 5g sugar, 1g protein.
Recipe and photograph provided by Better Homes and Gardens - BHG.com a member of the Home and Family Network for the best of cooking, gardening, decorating and more. © Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.