Decadent and rich, spiced sweet potato baked pudding, laden with citron, raisins and currants, served with a warm hard sauce.
2 cups grated raw sweet potato
1/2 cup margarine or butter, melted
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs, separated and beaten
2 cups milk
1 cup water
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon or to taste
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves or to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg or to taste
1/2 cup citron
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup currants
1/2 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brandy, bourbon or whiskey
1 large egg white
Freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a food processor grate the sweet potato.
- In a large bowl cream the margarine and sugar together. Add the egg yolks to the sugar mixture, mixing well. Gradually add the milk and water, beating thoroughly. Add the grated sweet potato and mix well. Add the cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
- Dredge the fruit in flour and add to the sweet potato mixture.
- Fold in the stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour into a greased baking dish. Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Serve with Hard Sauce.
- For Hard Sauce: In a medium bowl cream the butter and sugar. Add the brandy and mix well. Blend in the egg white. Serve over the Christmas Pudding and sprinkle with nutmeg.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe from "The Sweet Potato Cookbook", by Leneice North Talmadge.
Recipe provided courtesy of North Carolina Sweetpotato Commission.