Decorating cut-out cookies together is a holiday tradition with many families. This is an excellent recipe if you're looking to start your own family tradition.
1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup regular sour cream
1 teaspoon lemon extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons meringue powder
1/3 cup warm water
- For Cookies: In a large mixing bowl with electric beaters, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat until combined. Add sour cream and lemon extract; mix until blended.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Add gradually to cream mixture with mixer on low speed. Dough will be soft. Chill dough thoroughly in refrigerator, 4 hours or overnight.
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness. Using cookie cutters, cut into shapes and place one inch apart on lightly buttered cookie sheets.
- Bake in a 325°F (150°C) oven for 10-12 minutes. (Cookies will be very light in color.) Remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- For Icing: Combine icing ingredients; frost cookies and decorate as desired.
Makes about 4 dozen.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.