Traditional English Trifle takes a holiday with the flavor of eggnog.
1 1/4 cups cold milk
1 (3.25-ounce) package instant vanilla pudding and pie filling
4 tablespoons orange juice - divided use
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 (8-ounce) container nondairy whipped topping, thawed
1 (13.6-ounce) package pound cake
3 cups halved strawberries*
1/4 cup slice almonds, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine milk, pudding mix, 2 tablespoons of the orange juice and nutmeg. Beat with wire whisk for 1 minute. Gently stir in whipped topping.
- Slice cake horizontally into 4 layers. Sprinkle cake layers evenly with remaining 2 tablespoons orange juice. Cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Place 1/2 of the cake cubes in bottom of 2 1/2-quart straight-sided bowl. Spoon 1/2 of the whipped topping mixture over cake cubes.
- Top with strawberries and almonds, reserving some for garnish, if desired. Layer remaining cake cubes and whipped topping mixture over strawberries.
- Top with reserved strawberries and almonds. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Store in refrigerator.
Makes 10 servings.
*If fresh strawberries are not available, substitute with other fruit such as bananas, mandarin oranges or canned pineapple.
To Toast Nuts: Spread in single layer on baking sheet. Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring occasionally.