Festive Meringue Desserts
A delightful dessert, both in taste and presentation. Crisp meringue nests filled with fresh berries and topped with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream and drizzled with melted chocolate.
4 large egg whites
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup sliced strawberries
1 cup blackberries
2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
Sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Blend in vanilla.
- Spoon or pipe meringue mixture into 3 (4-inch) rounds onto each of 2 parchment or foil-covered baking sheets. Use a large spoon to make a large indentation in the center of each round, building up the sides of each round as much as possible.
- Bake 1 pan at a time on center oven rack for 55 minutes or until dry and golden brown. Remove from oven; cool completely on baking sheets. Carefully remove meringues from parchment.
- Combine berries; set aside.
- Place chocolate in small microwaveable bowl. Microwave on HIGH 1 minute or until chocolate is completely melted, stirring after each 30 seconds.
- To serve, fill meringues with berries and top with a dollop of sweetened cream. Drizzle decoratively with chocolate.
Makes 6 servings.