Game Day Football Cake
No special pan, kitchen tools, or even a cake decorating class, is needed to make this fun football cake.
1 (18.25-ounce) package chocolate cake mix
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 teaspoon butter, softened
2 to 3 teaspoons water
Football plastic toy decorations (optional)
- Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- Prepare cake batter and bake in prepared pan as directed on package. Cool 15 minutes; remove cake from pan to wire rack. Cool completely.
- Trim corners and sides from cake to resemble football shape. Reserve trimmings for snacking or another use.
- For Chocolate Frosting: Melt butter in a large microwave safe bowl; stir in cocoa. Add powdered sugar alternately with milk and vanilla, beating to spreading consistency. Frost cake.
- For White Icing: In a small bowl combine powdered sugar, butter and just enough water to create a smooth consistency. Place in a small, self-closing plastic bag; snip off a tiny corner and use to "draw" the stitches of the football. If desired, place toy football toy decorations around cake.
Makes 15 servings.