Have some great holiday fun creating whimsical gingerbread boys and girls!
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons of ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable shortening
1 large egg
1 cup molasses
2 tablespoons of vinegar
6 tablespoons butter
4 1/2 cups of confectioner’s (powdered) sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
- For Cookies: In a mixer bowl with a flat beater attached add granulated sugar and shortening and set to speed 4 until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg, molasses and vinegar.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, ground ginger, baking soda, ground cloves and salt.
- Now reduce the speed to stir and mix in the flour mixture, in 3 additions.
- Divide the dough into 3 disks and wrap with plastic.
- Refrigerate the dough for at least 3 hours.
- For Frosting: In a mixer bowl with the flat beater attached and set to speed 4, beat butter until smooth and creamy.
- Reduce the speed, mix in vanilla and confectioners sugar in 2 additions. Set frosting aside.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Flour your work surface and your rolling pin as well.
- Work with one disk at a time. Roll out dough to an 1/8 inch thickness.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut out your shapes and place them at least 2 inches apart on a baking sheet
- Cookies will take about 5 minutes to cook
- Then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Make sure the cookies are completely cooled before frosting.
Makes about 5 dozen cookies.
Recipe provided courtesy of HolidayKitchen.tv. Photograph property of CooksRecipes.com.