Glowing Jack-O-Lantern Cookies
Crushed lemon drop candies melt while baking to create the glowing 'eyes', 'nose' and 'mouth' of these festive Jack-O-lantern cut-out cookies.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon milk
Orange and green food coloring
1 (5.5-ounce) package lemon drop candy, crushed*
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Cover 3 baking sheets with foil; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt, mixing well; set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and mix well. Stir in flour mixture. Add milk if batter is too stiff.
- Tint all but 1/8 of dough orange and tint remaining dough green.
- Roll 1-inch balls from the orange dough and flatten with the bottom of a sugar coated glass. Place on prepared baking sheets.
- Roll stems out of the green dough and attach to the top of the " pumpkin".
- Carefully cut out wide spaces for the eyes, nose and mouth with a sharp knife. Fill holes in with the crushed lemon candy. (Candy will melt when baked)
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until done. Do not allow to brown. Allow to cool for 10 minutes and carefully peel off foil.
Makes about 3 dozen.
*Crush lemon drops in food processor with a little powdered sugar.