Hard Christmas Candy
Old-fashioned, homemade hard candies for Christmas.
1 cup light corn syrup
4 cups granulated sugar
1 cup water
1 teaspoon cinnamon or spice-flavored oil
- Line bottom and sides of a 15 x 10 x 1-inch jelly-roll pan with aluminum foil. Dust with powdered sugar. Set aside.
- Combine corn syrup and water in a medium-size heavy saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Remove cover and cook over medium heat, without stirring, to 300°F (150°C) on a candy thermometer. (A teaspoonful of syrup will separate into brittle threads when dropped into cold water.)
- Remove from heat. Add oil and desired food coloring, mixing well.
- Pour hot candy in strips over powdered sugar.
- Cool completely at room temperature.
- Invert pan, peel off foil and break into pieces.
Makes about 2 pounds candy.