Festive, orange-scented almond or hazelnut Florentines drizzled with semisweet chocolate.
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup almonds or hazelnuts, finely chopped
1/4 pound candied orange peel, finely chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate pieces
2 tablespoons cream or water
- Heat oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly grease baking sheets.
- Combine first six ingredients, mixing well. Drop by teaspoonfuls, 2-inches apart, onto prepared baking sheets. Flatten each with a knife dipped in cold water.
- Bake about 10 minutes or until browned around the edges. Cool, flat side up, on wire racks.
- Drizzle chocolate icing decoratively over cooled cookies.
- For Chocolate Icing: Melt chocolate in a double boiler; add cream or water. Stir until smooth.
Makes 24 cookies.