Holiday Cherries & Nut Cake
A festive, deliciously moist cream cheese Bundt cake, loaded with chopped maraschino cherries and nuts, topped with a decorative drizzle of vanilla icing.
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour - divided use
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries, well drained
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 teaspoon butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease a 12-cup Bundt pan or 10-inch tube pan; sprinkle with 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans; set aside.
- for Cake: In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, sugar and vanilla with electric mixer on medium speed until blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition; set aside.
- Combine 1 3/4 cups of the flour with the baking powder. Gradually add to cream cheese mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Toss remaining 1/4 cup flour with the cherries and 1/2 cup chopped pecans; gently stir into batter.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes.
- Loosen cake from side of pan with knife; gently remove cake from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
- For Simple Icing: Mix powdered sugar, butter, vanilla and milk until smooth; drizzle decoratively over cake.
Makes 16 servings.